Thursday, November 14, 2013

Intermediate Watercolor Homework: Using your live studies as a starting point 11/14/13


The moment I look up to see the latest pose I am eager to launch into a clear and simple interpretation, but many distractions arise before the beeper signals "time's up".
I dare say I'm not the only one to get drawn into trying to depict some subtle change of hue from one side of a shadow to another when I'm only half way done with the big shapes. I usually end up with a much more complicated image than I intended. But, those disappointing paintings can be useful.
Without the model there to distract you, it might be easier to make a simplified version of the pose using your live work as a starting point. Those shadows, for example, can perhaps be laid down quickly enough to vary color without running into drying issues. And there's much more room to think and breathe with no timer running.
Give it a try. Maybe it will have a positive impact on next week's live session. Please bring some of the work you did in class, and any refined versions for our critique.
These two sketches are by Nora MacPhail

No comments:

Post a Comment